Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University) is committed to saving of water through its water conservation program to ensure availability of water for future demand. For this purpose, the policies are drawn to ensure that the withdrawal of fresh water does not exceed its natural replacement level.
The water conservation program has laid down following policies:
- Optimization of fresh water consumption.
- Minimizing the water wastage through check measures on leakage in pumping and distribution systems.
- Treating the waste water for reuse.
- Use of treated water for various purposes.
- Developing techniques to store the natural rain water and use it for replenishing the ground water through rain water harvesting.
- Rainwater harvesting techniques are being developed in the campus to store and utilize the rain water for various activities like gardening, lawn irrigation, flushing in toilets etc.
- Sustainable methods of utilizing ground water resources are being employed.
- Water audit of the entire campus is carried out periodically to ensure no wastage of water through any form of leakages. The recommendations of the audit committee are met to ensure water conservation in the campus.
- Waste water treatment plants have been installed in the campus to reuse the waste water for lawn irrigation, toilets, watering plants etc.
- Creating awareness on water conservation amongst all forums i.e. students, staff, faculty and families living on campus.