Effective Date: January 22, 2019
Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University), Mullana – Ambala (hereinafter referred to as “MM(DU)”) is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment that promotes equality, respect, and understanding for all individuals associated with MM(DU). We value the diversity of our academic community and recognize that an inclusive environment enhances learning, creativity, and overall well-being. This Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Policy outlines our commitment to ensure equal opportunities and fair treatment for all, irrespective of age, gender or gender reassignment, disability, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership status, refugee and asylum seeker status, and pregnancy and maternity.
- MM(DU) is dedicated to promoting a culture of equality, diversity, and inclusion where all individuals are treated with respect, dignity, and fairness.
- We celebrate and embrace the diversity of our students, faculty, staff, and all stakeholders and recognize that each person’s unique contributions are vital to our collective success.
- Discrimination, harassment, victimization, or any other unfair treatment based on any of the protected characteristics mentioned in this policy will not be tolerated.
- MM(DU) is committed to provide an accessible and inclusive environment that supports the needs of individuals with disabilities, ensuring equal access to all facilities and services.
- Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate the specific needs of employees and students with disabilities to facilitate their full participation in campus life.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Responsibilities
- MM(DU)’s leadership, including the Vice-Chancellor, Deans and Heads of Departments, will actively promotes and supports the implementation of this EDI Policy.
- All employees and stakeholders of MM(DU) are responsible for upholding the principles of equality, diversity, and inclusion in their interactions and activities.
- The Office of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (OEDI) will be established to oversee the implementation, monitoring, and review of this policy. OEDI will also provide resources, support, and guidance to ensure a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Recruitment and Admissions
- MM(DU) is committed to attract a diverse pool of candidates during the recruitment and admissions processes. Measures will be taken to eliminate any biases that may hinder the selection of talented individuals from various backgrounds.
- Admissions criteria and recruitment practices will be fair, transparent, and based solely on merit, disregarding any protected characteristics.
Curriculum and Learning
- MM(DU) will promote inclusive curriculum design that reflects diverse perspectives and experiences.
- Faculty members will be encouraged to incorporate diverse case studies, examples, and materials in their teaching to foster a richer learning experience that respects different backgrounds and identities.
- MM(DU) will maintain a working environment that is respectful and free from discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on any protected characteristic.
- Equal opportunities for career advancement, training, and development will be provided to all employees, irrespective of their protected characteristics.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities to enable their full participation in the workplace.
Awareness and Training
- MM(DU) will conduct regular training programs and workshops on diversity, inclusion, and unconscious bias for all employees and stakeholders.
- Awareness campaigns will be organized to promote understanding and respect for diversity and the importance of this policy.
Reporting and Support Mechanism
- Any instances of discrimination, harassment, or unfair treatment based on a protected characteristic should be reported promptly and will be taken seriously.
- MM(DU) will ensure that individuals who raise concerns are protected from retaliation.
- Support mechanisms, such as counseling services, will be available for those who have experienced discrimination or harassment.
Policy Updated on: July 8, 2021
Monitoring and Review
- Progress in achieving equality, diversity, and inclusion goals related to each protected characteristic will be regularly monitored and evaluated.
- The EDI Policy will be reviewed periodically to ensure its effectiveness and relevance, and appropriate updates will be made as needed.
MM(DU) will communicate this Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy widely to all members of the academic community, including students, faculty, staff, and stakeholders. Regular communication channels will be used to reinforce the MM(DU)’s commitment to EDI.