Effective Date: July 15, 2020
The aim of formulating the “Energy Conservation Program” for Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University) is to reduce energy consumption in totality and to preserve the resources for the future use. MM(DU) values the significance of energy conservation for its entire campus and is committed to outline the steps to attain sustainable levels in energy consumption.
The program’s policy includes:
- Use of fewer non-renewable natural energy resources and promotion of renewable sources of energy.
- Conserve energy through optimal use of resources.
- Improved energy efficiency by switching over to less energy consuming devices.
- Design of infrastructure to ensure maximum utilization of solar energy to reduce energy demand.
- Create awareness amongst staff, faculty and students groups on energy conservation through various activities, forums.
- To carry out energy audit of the MM (DU) campus periodically and carry out the maintenance and installation drives as per the recommendations of the audit report.
- Maximize the use of day light in buildings to reduce the energy consumption.
- Increased use of solar energy wherever possible.
- Windows and doors of air conditioned spaces to be kept closed to save energy.
- Air conditioners, fans and other office equipments to be turned off when not in use.
- Personal computer and printers to be turned off when not in use.
- All lighting, except that required for security purpose, to be turned off when the building is unoccupied at the end of the day.
- Reminders in the form of bold slogans/posters are pasted at numerous places in the campus for Energy Conservation.
- Energy efficient products are replaced wherever possible to replenish traditional more energy consuming devices.
Amendments in 2022
Regular performance assessments will be conducted to measure the impact of implemented measures and to identify areas for further improvement. Progress reports will be shared with relevant stakeholders, ensuring accountability and transparency in the pursuit of energy efficiency goals.
- Energy Efficiency Plan: Addition of a provision requiring the development and implementation of a comprehensive energy efficiency plan. This plan will outline specific strategies and measures aimed at reducing the overall energy consumption of the campus. It may include initiatives such as the optimization of lighting systems, HVAC systems, and other energy-intensive processes.
- Energy Reviews for Wastage Identification: Introduction of regular energy reviews to identify areas within the campus where energy wastage is highest. These reviews will be conducted periodically to assess energy consumption patterns, pinpoint inefficiencies, and recommend corrective actions. The findings of these reviews will inform strategic decisions to minimize energy wastage and enhance conservation efforts.
- Community Outreach and Collaboration: MMDU Mullana will actively engage with the local community and collaborate with energy conservation organizations to share knowledge, best practices, and resources. The MM (DU) will leverage its expertise to contribute to broader community initiatives aimed at sustainable development and energy conservation.
The amendments made 2022 to the Energy Conservation Policy-2020 demonstrate Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University) Mullana’s ongoing commitment to sustainable and responsible energy management. Regular energy reviews will ensure a dynamic and adaptive approach to energy conservation, reinforcing the MM (DU)’s dedication to reducing its environmental footprint and promoting a culture of sustainable living within the campus community.